Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Hey guys,
It's 7 o'clock in Athens and still 95 degrees. So I'm taking refuge in my shady room taking naps and working on the readings for the class. Today our class was about greece after the war of independence and gender roles in greece that dominated society before the 1950s. Since I took his archeology class in the spring, I had already heard this exact lecture, so I twiddled my thumbs and listened to my classmates as they laughed at the stories I had already heard. Then Gab and I got a gyro on the way home. Seriously, the greek food we have at home can't shake a stick at this stuff! It's a warm pita (almost too hot to touch), a fresh chicken kabob (or lamb), fresh tzaziki sauce with bits of cucumber, dripping red tomatoes, lettuce, and incredibly well seasoned potato slices. I'm in heaven! With our full bellies we came back to the apartment and I slept for a solid 2 hours. I'm trying to kick this everlasting cold, and I decided laying low is the way to do it. After, I talked to mumsie and since then I've just been catching up with laundry and homework. I found out today I got an A on my first paper, so no worries there! tonight most of our group is going to see the harry potter premiere at a theater in our neighborhood. I'm really excited to see the movie, but opted to go tomorrow instead of tonight because tonight they're showing the 2nd to last movie in the series at 9 and the new movie (the last in the series) at midnight in 3D at a normal theater. Instead, I'm going tomorrow with Gab and a few other people to an open air theater in a park down the street where we're watching it at a decent time in 2D. Much better :) So tonight I think Gab and I are going to have a date night at a tavern we've been meaning to go to at the end of our street. Tomorrow our class is going on an excursion around athens, i think to the national cathedral and a few museums about the city of athens and old houses or something. Should be good!
Just now my roommate leah is making pasta and the smell instantly reminded me of my dad's spaghetti. It brought a little tear to my eye... I feel like running down to the kitchen and sitting down with my parents to a plate of spaghetti. I guess no matter where I go I'll always have a little piece of home with me. Love you guys!

4 comments:

  1. Love you too! Thanks for the update.

    You're hungry for Dad's food and I am hungry for Greek food. Can we work something out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opa! Does that mean that somebody actually likes my cooking!?! Or does it mean that my cooking makes people cry? I'll for choice number one. Double Opa!

    Your description of lunch sounds out of this world. What is tzaziki sauce???

    I can't tell you how happy I am for you and all the things you are experiencing. Congrats on the "A"!

    Opa!

    Love you Sweetie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha dad of course we love your cooking! Especially when it comes with all the Opas!

    Thank you guys, you're the best :) I'm crackin up right now!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete