Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Hey guy,
I'm sure you've seen the news that the protest in athens have escalated and violence has started in response to the votes today and tomorrow. They are in a serious state of economic crisis and the people are simply just pissed off. The union protests have been peaceful but there is a group of anarchists that intentionally stir up trouble by throwing rocks, bricks, and cobblestones at the police. They mix themselves within the crowd and essentilly make the place look like a riot. But i'm posting this because I want you all to know that we are all safe and completely removed from the violence. I have made a personal decision to completely avoid syntagma square where the violence is happening. Some of my classmates went into the protests yesterday and were tear gassed. But I want to assure you guys (especially you mom and dad) that I will not be anywhere near the violence and safety is my biggest concern. Although it kills me to stand on the sidelines while history is happening, I will not go near syntagma. We are in good hands and will stay out of trouble. I am safe, so please do not worry.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Al,
    Yes, it is obvious that there are anarchists mixed in with the peaceful protesters that are trying to ignite the powder keg. As you know, these are the same trouble makers that mix in at the G-8 or G-20 summits, or whose faces can be seen in earlier riots in London, Madrid, even Madison Wisconsin. People should have a right to have their voices heard. Ideas and viewpoints and differences of opinion should be openly debated in civil discourse. Non of that can happen when the mob takes over. That is what the anarchists want. I think anarchy is intended as a vehicle for abrupt paradigm shifts in societal governance. I think it is intended to create desparation in people. I think it is intended to create a societal vacuum. You're a scientist. You know Nature does not like a vacuum. I think history has shown that some people, a majority maybe, will pick anything, any form of order, any loss of freedom, any form of imposed governance to be removed from violent confrontation and chaos and evil, anything to fill the vacuum.

    I also think that history has shown that some people have chosen to unite in the face of chaos and despair, have chosen to stand and link arms, have chosen to help and support each other in the face of adversity, and have chosen to stare down evil.

    Ironic that Athens, the premier City- State of ancient Greece, probably THE incubator of the notion of self-governanace, self-reliance, equality, and personal freedom for the Western World, has found itself at this point. Maybe this is an opportunity for Greeks to look in the mirror and take stock of who they are and what they are, where they've come from and where they are now and where they are headed. Maybe they won't like what they see, either in themselves, or the precariousness of the precipice that they've allowed themselves to be led to. Maybe they'll see encumberances to their freedoms that are not so obvious as shackles and prison bars, but perhaps more like ensnaring vines, more insidious, slower to entangle and choke, but no less deadly. Maybe they'll find their way back. Maybe they'll dig deep and link arms and make a stand. Maybe they'll stare down evil together. Maybe. Maybe not.

    Maybe this is a lesson for all of us. My thoughts and prayrers are with the Greek people.

    Thank you for taking responsibilty for your own safety, and the safety of the others in your group. I know that these are historical times. I want you to learn and grow. However, your safety trumps any and all direct contact with the making of that history! My thoughts and prayers are with you too my dear one.

    I love you very much.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete